Google Earth Flight Simulator Hack
By pressing a combination of CTRL-ALT-A, in Google Earth, you enter a built in flight simulator, that allows you to take off from various airports around the world, or from a current location in google earth. A pity that there were no South African airports included in the list though. That was till now. By doing a quick cut & paste I give you 4 new South African airports (JHB, DBN, CT & Surprise) to add to the list.
To do so, follow the steps below. Unfortunately I only have the steps for Windows version
- Download the list of South African Airports
- Go to Start -> Run, and paste the following “C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\res\flightsim“
- Open the file “flightsim.ini”
- Scroll down to the bottom of the file & paste the list of airports downloaded in step 1
- Open Google earth, press Control-Alt-A and choose your from the list of newly added airports.
If anyone has any other airports I can add, please leave a comment.
P.S. Did you know that Upington Airport has the longest runway in Africa & the 4th longest in the world.