Personal Hotspot on iPhone iOS 4.3
One of the best new features that I have found and used on the new iPhone iOS 4.3 release is a feature called Personal Hotspot. Basically, what this is, is it turns your iPhone into a wireless hotspot using your 3G connection. So for example, if you out at a coffee shop, or somewhere where there is no internet connectivity, you simply turn your Personal Hotspot on and you can use any other device, like your PC or Mac, or iPad or even another WiFi enabled phone to connect to the net. Previously you needed to purchase whole other device, like a MiFi, to be able to connect to the net. Now it is built right into your phone. Brilliant !!
To get started using Personal Hotspot you can follow these steps :
- On your iPhone go to Settings -> Personal Hotspot
- Turn your Personal Hotspot to ON. You will see a Blue bar at the op of your screen which shows you that Personal Hotspot is now active.
- On you computer or iPad, choose iPhone from the list of network services in your WiFi menu.
- Enter the password that is shown in the Personal Hotspot
- You can now browse the net using your iPhone’s 3G connection. Try and make sure your 3G is on, otherwise things will really be slow.
- Remember to turn it off once you are done.
You can also use Personal hotspot using Bluetooth or using the USB cable, to create an internet connection. You can have up to 5 devices connecting at any time (3 WiFi, 1 Bluetooth & 1 USB). Currentley there is no extra charge associated with this, but in the US, AT&T does charge an extra fee every month. Let’s trust & hope the SA Network providers don’t follow suite, as I think it makes absolutely no sense !
Have you used Personal Hotspot ? What do you think ? Leave a comment below with your findings.
- iOS 4.3 spotlight: Personal Hotspot (tuaw.com)
- Apple releases iOS 4.3 with WiFi hotspot, improved AirPlay (venturebeat.com)
- Should You Buy a 3G iPad or Use Personal Hotspot? (macstories.net)